18 October 2011

My super power: I disappear when I read!

I remember very clearly in grade school being assigned my first book report. I can see it all in my mind like an old movie; standing next to my mom at the kitchen table going through Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary together with her telling me what was important about the story. Of course, that's not when I first starting reading and being thouroughly sucked into books like a vacuum. That happened when I was 14 and got Chicken Pox for a 2nd time, lucky right?! It was the middle of a stiffling hot Florida summer and all I wanted to do was escape. That is when I discoverd the ultimate escape for me is reading. I get lost, I go away, I don't exist here, I live in the story. I stayed buried in books* for those miserable two weeks and have since then used books as my true hiding place. It's amazing and am grateful beyond belief that I have reading!
                                                      
*books I read during my chicken pox summer o' hell: The Stand by Stephen King, The Dead Zone by Stephen King, Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell, The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway, and finally The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher which I have re-read countless times and given as a gift time and time again. It just has to be one of my all time favourite books on earth. It's even my Nana's favourite book and I think my mom's too.
                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment